Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Side Of Myself

One of the things I have come to notice about myself since I moved overseas is that I really am more independent than I ever realized. Sure, when my husband was in Guam for five months I knew I could cope without him but I never really went far away from my house. I had a three year old and an eighteen month old at the time and the thought of taking off to Kansas City for the day just scared the ever loving bejebus out of me. The last time he was gone I didn't venture far from the house but I would go to the local bigger towns for days out. I went to Cambridge and Bury St Edmonds many times and didn't bat an eyelash.

In recent weeks I have travelled to Saffron Walden (an hour away) and Stowe Landscape Gardens (two hours away) to meet up with fellow expat bloggers and I had a really really good time on both accounts. I even took my kiddos with me to Stowe and didn't have a single incident that made me cringe.

Now, I am looking forward to a trip to London in July, not for CyberMummy, but to meet yet another blogger, well several bloggers. I am bringing KiKi with me and it doesn't seem scary at all. In my old life before I moved I would have been petrified, which now seems silly. I can do this. I can spread my wings and explore. I can do this. While I wish my husband had a work schedule that would allow him to explore with me, I am not daunted by the thought of doing it on my own.