Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, February 12, 2011

On Your Birthday

Dear Cousin B,

I know I usually call you and wish you a happy birthday, but I thought that this year I would do something a bit different since you're turning 18. Did you know I was in 6th grade when you were born? I can still remember it. I was so excited to finally have a cousin on Mom's side of the family to play with when I was in Charleston. Now, you are a man. A very smart man, but don't get a big head; I am still smarter than you.

I thought that for your 18th birthday I would pass on a little sage advise. Here goes...

1. They say that your high school years are "the best years of your life," well, they are wrong. High school is merely the easiest years of your life. The best years will be when you are an adult. You may have more problems, but the rewards for your effort in life will be so much greater.

2. You will do some dumb crap in the next couple years. Believe me. REALLY DUMB. Dumber than the things you did in high school.

3. Be nice to your parents and sister. Friends come and go, family is forever.

4. Eat your veggies and exercise. When your metabolism goes, you need a backup plan.

5. Don't EVER drink and drive. EVER. EVER. EVER.

6. When you leave home, call your parents and granny at least once a week. They will probably call you more than that, but if you do it at least once a week they won't think you are dead. If you do forget they will call and call and call until they finally get you on the phone. I can guarantee this.

I am sure you probably won't listen to half of what I have just said, but eh, it is worth a shot. Take care. Love you. Have a happy happy birthday young padawan.

Love,
Kat

10 comments:

I'm So Fancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I'm So Fancy said...

He probably won't listen to a single word but it's all so true! I was in my 20's and the manager of my building came knocking because I hadn't returned my mother's phone call.

Sueann said...

Sage advice!!! Happy Birthday!
Hugs
SueAnn

Expat No. 3699 said...

Dear Cousin B,

Listen to your Aunt Kat.

Linda~

P.S. I mean it!

Auntie A said...

Brought tears to my eyes!!

Vodka Logic said...

Great advice. I hope he reads and learns.

PippaD said...

I think I might take this advice too!

Expat mum said...

The Queenager turns 18 on Sunday. I might print this off and give it to her. Apart from the bit about doing even dumber things that her parents. Not gonna happen!

Donna said...

This is awesome! Great advice and what a fantastic birthday wish!

Michelle Reeves - Bod for tea said...

Now why didn't someone give me that advice when I was eighteen? Great post :)